Sex in your 50s!
I’ve got a headache, she says as he looks at her disappointingly. “That’s what you said last night and the night before that and before that and before that… we haven’t had sex in over a month. What’s going on?”
Does this sound remotely familiar?
Unfortunately, women seem to forget that sex is fun. Or maybe they never experienced the big O and feel like it is more of a chore than something enjoyable.
If that is you, listen up. First of all, you are NOT too old to enjoy sex. Sex is even better now. Seriously, I am not joking...as long as you can relax, speak up and tune into your body - there is nothing better.
When God created you, he made one very special body part to be devoted strictly for your pleasure, that’s right your clitoris. Its SOLE purpose is for pleasure. So if he created it, it must be OK to enjoy it. Right?
Besides, there is a boatload of benefits from having an orgasm aside for the sheer pleasure of it. For starters, did you know that when you have an orgasm, oxytocin is released into our bodies? What is Oxytocin? It is a hormone that for one, fights stress. Specifically, Oxytocin decreases the amount of cortisol in our system, and that’s a good thing because cortisol is the hormone responsible for our stress levels. With decreased cortisol, and Oxytocin pumping through your veins, your skin will benefit tremendously. It is known as the best anti-aging medicine to date. Yes, your skin appears more youthful. Wait there’s more! Oxytocin is also known as the love hormone, and it makes you feel sexy and desirable. So not only does it reduce stress, make your skin look younger and more beautiful, it also makes sex even more enjoyable. And if those reasons don’t convince you, I've got one more benefit up my sleeve. You will sleep better. Pinky promise. And who wouldn't want to benefit from better sleep?
So read on. Below are some tips to help you rock your sex life in your fifties!
- Prepare your mind for sex. Think sensual thoughts about being intimate with your significant other. It works. Just use your imagination, it is a wonderful thing. Anticipate being touch in your special spot, you will be surprised how that loosens you up. May sound funny, but the things you say inside your head matter. And if you are lying in bed fretting about having sex, or if you have convinced yourself that you’d rather claim to have a headache instead of having sex, you will continue to not have sex. What you think about, you bring about. But let me ask you this? Are you married or in a significant relationship? Do you want to stay that way? Then I suggest you follow these simple steps, it could save your relationship. Because having a successful relationship without sex is like winning a NASCAR race without putting any gasoline in the engine. Not possible.
- Be Spontaneous! Surprise him with a special night in. Men love to be objects of our attention, especially if you have let him down consistently in the past, he will be more than flattered if you make the first move. It will boost his confidence and bring a little excitement into the bedroom.
- SPEAK UP. Many women I have spoken with say the main reason they don’t enjoy sex with their spouse is that they never get to an orgasm. Their spouse doesn’t touch the right or doesn’t “know” where or how to touch them. Uhm whose fault is that? Speak up I say. They want to satisfy and please you, it is in their nature, but do yourself a favor and give the poor guy some guidance. You both will benefit.
- Wear something sexy. It doesn’t take much to arouse a guy, it is true, just walk up to him naked and hand him a beer and he is excited, but show that you care by wearing something that knocks his socks off. A side benefit is you will look beautiful and feel confident.
- Roleplay. Yup, I said it. Roleplay – sexy teacher, hot fireman saving damsel in distress, I don’t care, be creative, just have fun. Honestly, we take ourselves way too seriously these days. Lighten up and have some fun.
Ladies, listen to me… sex is fun and you deserve to enjoy its pleasures, so drop the headache line once and for all.
Love, Laugh and most of all Learn to Live Boldly
If you enjoyed this blog post and would like to be notified when I release another one or open the doors to my Over Fifty, Feeling Fab, and Living Boldly program. Please click the link below to join my email list.
Click the link below for a free copy of my Affirmations For Women in Their Prime.